Skip to main content

Working Memory Hacks

In dyslexia, frontal brain trauma, and depression, working memory is reduced. Working memory is the short-term memory we use to hold a list, a conversation and remember what to do when we go upstairs.

Tony Buzan the great memory scientist, inventor of Mind Mapping and expert on the brain, memory, speed reading, creativity, and innovation says that there is really no limit to how much we can store in our minds. This is because the mind can form as many as 30 times the population of the world, in as many connections. We just need a way to train it.

With poor working memory, we need to "Improvise, adapt and overcome” (US Marine Corps motto).

Improvise: do we as dyslexics get our creativity from constantly having to rewrite the book on what we do. Improvisation is certain my core strength. As a person with dyslexia, I have learned that we must make sure our outputs equal our desired outcome. are alligned with our outcome.

Adapt: With self-development, we can learn to use memory techniques. Using paper to plan and sketch out ideas can increase your theoretical working memory.

Overcome: Becoming a faster typer, writing concisely, reading better can overcome short-term memory. Coupled with exercise can lift depression and physically create a better environment for you to think better.

Your bodies reaction to exercise is called the training effect. Your body holds more blood, and therefore carried more nutrients and oxygen to the brain. When in this state, the body thinks better, making the brain, stronger and faster.

Below are a few short term memory hacks.


  • Learn with a purpose
    • You are learning to overcome dyslexia or help a friend.
  • Know how you will apply the knowledge
    • I will use this information to fill out a form
  • Learn with the intention to teach
    • I know someone else who could use this
  • Be vocal
    • Say what you have learned out loud. Speak to others and ask questions to each other.
  • Use imagination
    • Form images in your mind. Draw pictures and diagrams. Learn how to use mind maps.
  • Be physical
    • You may act out what you have learned. By moving physically you engage muscle memory.
  • Associate
    • Remind yourself about things you already know which are like what you are doing.
  • Be positive
    • If you put some of the techniques here you will learn how to learn better. Mantras of postitivity. repeated ten times. "I can do this"
  • Relax
    • Being agitated is not a learning state. It is lizard brained. Being positive and focusing on a reason why, or a time when you learned something good, can reinforce positive outcomes. 
  • Imagine positive
    • There is something that you still remember. Tying shoelaces, kicking a football, 
  • Repetition
    • Be prepared to look back at your notes and relearn things that might have slipped. This is the normal proceess of learning.



But how can I remember?

To remember better we need to push things into the long term memory. We can do this by familiarity, repetition, and recall.

Familiar/Obvious

Put things you need to remember in plain sight. I leave my trainers out the night before a run. Some leave their keys wallet, and presentation near the from door.

Repetition

Be prepared to go over the material more than once and in different ways. For example, you can listen to a lecture tape, or a podcast about your topic, at the bus stop. At home read a magazine about your topic, and think about what you have learned and how they ate applying. Yes, eventually you will find your best method.

Recall

From memory, what can you remember from memory on a blank piece of paper, video or audio.

My best method:

I listen to audio whilst highlighting notes from the text book. Also to recall, I build a mindmap from the chapter headings of a text book, then to add (recall) what I already know on each branch. I then try and draw a new mind map from memory on a blank page.


Word association and Imagery. 

The basis for imagination is image. We often think in images. And we learn better when we can relate to what we learn.
For example you will remember names better when you have imagination and form relationships.

How to use it:

How do you will remember a name.
To remember a name associate it with something similar or what it reminds you of. I remember a friends name called Chetan. Because when I remembered his name I imagined him as a Cheeta with a tan.

Word association and Imagery.

Focus on the person's face when you are given their name and repeat it a few times, mentally or out loud. You may even say you have a friend called steve in London.

When you recall, focus on their face and name. reimagine the picture of their face when you recall their name. You can remember by word association. Repetition and trying to remember something unusual about them.

Don't bother remembering

An alternative approach is to not try to remember anything.

Keep everything you need in a file or database, and reserve your mind for thinking. Set reminders, develop a mind like water. Keep dates in a diary, people in a contact book, records in a folder, and use a tickler calendar to remind you of preplanned events and information. This can be done digitally or in analog.

What Einstien said:

Einstien said that he was forgetful because he was using his "mind for imagination, not for things he could look up." And we all know where he got that him.

The Nobel Prize in Physics 1921 was awarded to the Albert Einstein "for his services to Theoretical Physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect".
There are some events that you can simply put in your diary. and then develop a habit of looking at the week or two ahead and plan for birthdays etc.

Keep addresses in your phone for reference later.

I enter people by their name and a memorable thing about them. For example, I keep my number for the optician in my phone as Specsavers eyesight glasses. and when I search for glasses up comes Specsavers.

What the world health organisation says about checklists:

Research in America on surgery said a $5 checklist saves $2billion, in operation complications. That's why I keep checklists.

 The thing is when you have made all that effort into a checklist, just revisit it and improve it. And when you need to delegate the task, give them the list.

Surgeons love checklists: Did you know the best surgeons in the world are dyslexic.




My number 1 hack:

When you leave a room or place, take a look back. I often have seen keys, phone, and wallet waiting on tube and bus seats. As well as this hack, As soon as I sit down, I prepare to leave.

Do you have any hacks. Or any questions about improving your memory.Yes, then please join the community below.

I enjoy reading and answering comments.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I keep getting these terrible headaches. How do I stop them?

For a while, I suffered from persistent, recurrent headaches that only taking Nurofen could shift. I found my headaches came down to a few things. Eyestrain Lack of rest, especially the eyes, Dirty glasses Lighting coming from behind the tv/monitor, a bit like an eclipse The brain Lack of water, drink water without crap in it. Crap = flavours, additives etc. Caffeine withdrawal, caffeine pills Alcohol dries out the brain, drink more water The body Poor posture, sit upright adjust your keyboard monitor, seat properly, and foot rest Take regular breaks, from working Get the right amount of sleep for you. Varies between 6 - 10 hours because of age, gender, and recent activity It took me months to clear all the crap out of the system. The biggest threat to my brain was my favourite fizzy orange drink. When I really had a look at the back I was surprised to see so many e numbers it made my head spin. I now don’t use Nurofen or g

Why do I have a neurodiversity diagram on my twitter

My life has been shaped by my neurodiversity. Diagnosed Dyslexic, ADHD inattentive and going through ASD diagnosis. I discovered this diagram shortly after I was made homeless in 2013. I started this disability blog  you are reading and my Twitter , to help others with their disabilities. The neurodiverse and design It is the visual nature and compartmentalization, which make this picture so attractive to me. In my underemployed days, I have been chiefly in the design arena. I worked for an architecture firm designing Tesco carparks. As a web designer and marketing manager for a PPE company. I have been an email designer for many sales companies. And all through those and others, I have loved design. And this simple design says a lot, all described below. Dyspraxia DCD What is dyspraxia? Difficulties with planning movements, co-ordination and practical tasks as well as tracking and balance, poor spatial awareness and muscle tone What is DCD? Also known as dyspraxia, Development Coordin

DEFY ABUSE: Simple rules to resist abuse

Being Nuerodiverse can mean that you are the target of abuse or that you are not aware enough to avoid it. My Youtube video may help you avoid abuse. Avoid it by making connections, speaking up, being visible and not being embarrassed. I hope this helps. Your feedback and comments are welcome.