Skip to main content

Cure Dyslexia

Cure dyslexia
Hi, Neurodiverse.

I'm looking into how I can improve dyslexia for free. I'm not a qualified in anything that makes a current different to the diagnosis and assistance given to dyslexics in the UK. But i'd like to change that. And I hope to give it a good try, as people notice what works.

Dyslexics can bend it like Beckham, and not everything written is a sign of intelligence, or value.

I am doing this for myself and the dyslexic community. In the UK there is not enough done to help dyslexics succeed. The hidden disability is protected and you can't discriminate openly for have the disability. But it's not easy to get and keep a job.

I don't have £2000 for the Dore program, which is closed. But I have a Personal training level 3 qualification, and dyslexia diagnosed on my postgraduate course.

I am pretty good at putting things together, all be it slowly, and it helps to have a dyslexia blog. But I have found that others do make considerable money out of my musings.

DORE Program

I have looked in the  Dore program and they say that stars like: "Eighties popstar Toyah Wilcox and former Scotland rugby international Kenny Logan, both of whom describe the £2,000 Dore programme as life-changing"

Dyslexia Exercises

I have done a little surface research and will be looking into this little more. It appears that phsyical exercise can help your dyslexia. Astronaut experienced temporary dyslexia whilst in space, and NASA created these exercise to combat them.

If you have any success with the DORE program, let me know what has worked for you.

Dyslexia

There are a lot of books for the parent or partner but not really any that are focused on the adult and how to help yourself.

Autism has a NHS pathway, and all you need to do to get a diagnosis regardless of wealth is to ask your doctor. There is no such thing for dyslexics.

I was reading "Dyslexia, The Gift of" but found it too long. I genuinely find that these books are not aimed at dyslexics. Else it would be in a form that dyslexia could easily use. For example a tutor/coach, or a one page diagram, a movie, an audio book or a checklist, NOT A Very long read.

I have made significant process with my dyslexia, realising the one thing. That it is a particular way of thinking and not a problem, especially in that it helps us capture the whole picture and gives immediate answers however tenuous.

Strategies

There are a few strategies for combating the negatives of dyslexia often these can be a lack of self-esteem. And perhaps a little vision and inspirational coaching, from direct peers, friends, teachers and family could help anyone overcome, and not just dyslexics. Time and Exercises can help people be more confident with their dyslexia to the point it doesn't matter.

The psychological and physical feeling of one being in a body that is capable, is a subtle indicator of confidence. This is not the projected confidence or bravado, also though skill to project and inspire others is worthwhile. I have found that internal confidence does not equate with competence, but it does equate with success.

Having the self confidence to live with failure, and pick yourself up and to keep going to find success is a better measure.

Adult Diagnosis

I am not qualified to diagnose dyslexia. I have a full diagnosis from an educational psychologist during the last year of my last year of my postgraduate. But you can do this on the web, for free. Or join an educational institution and receive a free diagnosis. You will not get this if you are an adult for free.

The DORE program tries to diagnose and look at the bits of dyslexia linked to the cerebellum. And they have devised a test.

Cerebellum

The core idea of this training is that 50% of the brains processes go through the cerebellum. Which makes up currently 10% of the brain. 


Cost
10mins twice a day

Exercises include walking downstairs backwards with your eyes closed, throwing a bean bag from one hand to the other and standing on a wobble board or a ball.

Benefit

Decrease the side effects of dyslexia.

The tests are fun, not threatening, and involve analysing how the brain reacts to different stimuli. One test involves a machine that finds what strategy your body uses for balancing.
Its purpose is to single out the effectiveness of a person’s senses. If one is not functioning properly, it can seriously impede co-ordination.
The body uses three things to balance: the inner ear (the vestibular); feelings from joints, muscles and bones; and the brain, to which these feelings are transmitted.
But the striking thing about most people with learning difficulties such as dyslexia is that their brain hardly uses any information from the vestibular.
Another test looks at what happens to your eyes when you’re trying to track a moving light. The cerebellum is known to control some eye movements directly related to reading and writing.
The eyes of more than 90 per cent of people with learning difficulties are uncoordinated. So when they’re trying to read, the information is absorbed in a scrambled way.
Equally, when they try to write, their hands don’t follow an automatic pattern, because they have little memory recall of how each letter is formed and it becomes hard to develop a consistent handwriting style.
The programme also gives you a dyslexia screening test for spelling, reading, writing and memory, as well as neurological tests to make sure that there is no other reason, apart from the underdevelopment of the cerebellum, that is causing the problems.
The first assessment takes about three hours and the second, six weeks later, about an hour-and-a-half. You are reassessed every six weeks until your cerebellum is working to full capacity, which usually takes up to two years.
At the end of each testing session, the computer works out the best exercises for each individual and in which order to kick-start their neural pathways.
YOU’RE then allocated two exercises every day in a carefully prescribed order. These are simple and can be done at home in about five minutes.
I started with some basic exercises such as spinning in a circle and then trying to sit on a big gym ball. If I had tried to spin around three years ago, I would have been sick – apparently, many dyslexics and dyspraxics suffer from travel sickness, a sign that the cerebellum isn’t working as it should.
I did my exercises religiously for three months, twice a day. The effects were immediate. My life improved within a week of starting the exercises and suddenly the dam wall started to come down.
I have hardly stopped writing since the exercises began to take effect, which is incredible considering writing was once the bane of my life, and my spelling has improved dramatically.
Now I feel my life is speeding up. In the past, I’d have days of being completely frozen in a creative mental block and unable to do anything. My dyslexia had a terrible effect on my songwriting. If I had creative moments, they lasted only an hour, Now the prison door is unlocked, I feel I can work whenever I need to.
Even though I still have certain blocks on names and certain words I can’t understand or spell, I no longer get cross. In the past the majority of my energy went on being frustrated.
Now I have learned that this is a wasted emotion. Crucially, my social skills have improved beyond belief.
I used to be lonely socially and felt everyone hated me. But within three weeks of starting the treatment I became immediately confident and now feel able to go up and talk to anyone. My verbal memory recall has been transformed and I can hold conversations without going off at tangents.
I’d always fly off the handle because I couldn’t communicate my ideas well enough. That’s gone now. My vocabulary is broadening every day.
Whereas I’d read a book a year, I now read a book a week – I’m getting through all the bestsellers – which I find staggering.
I now manage my own finances and spend four hours a day just on managing my investments – several years ago I would not have even tried to read numbers.
I no longer have black days filled with the frustration of not being able to read or write. I’ve learnt that, because I’m dyslexic, I have a smaller amount of working memory, so if I had a negative thought, I didn’t have so much brain space to bring in compensatory thoughts to rationalise it....Toya Wilcox on the Dore progrram

Debunked

The Dore program has been debunked by the dyslexic community as not being scientific. Are Toya Wilcox and Kenny Logan wrong

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I keep getting these terrible headaches. How do I stop them?

For a while, I suffered from persistent, recurrent headaches that only taking Nurofen could shift. I found my headaches came down to a few things. Eyestrain Lack of rest, especially the eyes, Dirty glasses Lighting coming from behind the tv/monitor, a bit like an eclipse The brain Lack of water, drink water without crap in it. Crap = flavours, additives etc. Caffeine withdrawal, caffeine pills Alcohol dries out the brain, drink more water The body Poor posture, sit upright adjust your keyboard monitor, seat properly, and foot rest Take regular breaks, from working Get the right amount of sleep for you. Varies between 6 - 10 hours because of age, gender, and recent activity It took me months to clear all the crap out of the system. The biggest threat to my brain was my favourite fizzy orange drink. When I really had a look at the back I was surprised to see so many e numbers it made my head spin. I now don’t use Nurofen or g

Why do I have a neurodiversity diagram on my twitter

My life has been shaped by my neurodiversity. Diagnosed Dyslexic, ADHD inattentive and going through ASD diagnosis. I discovered this diagram shortly after I was made homeless in 2013. I started this disability blog  you are reading and my Twitter , to help others with their disabilities. The neurodiverse and design It is the visual nature and compartmentalization, which make this picture so attractive to me. In my underemployed days, I have been chiefly in the design arena. I worked for an architecture firm designing Tesco carparks. As a web designer and marketing manager for a PPE company. I have been an email designer for many sales companies. And all through those and others, I have loved design. And this simple design says a lot, all described below. Dyspraxia DCD What is dyspraxia? Difficulties with planning movements, co-ordination and practical tasks as well as tracking and balance, poor spatial awareness and muscle tone What is DCD? Also known as dyspraxia, Development Coordin

DEFY ABUSE: Simple rules to resist abuse

Being Nuerodiverse can mean that you are the target of abuse or that you are not aware enough to avoid it. My Youtube video may help you avoid abuse. Avoid it by making connections, speaking up, being visible and not being embarrassed. I hope this helps. Your feedback and comments are welcome.