Skip to main content

Structuring Written content for dyslexics

How can you easily structure any written content

Did you know W. B. Yeats is one of the most famous poets of all time, winning the Nobel Prize for literature in 1923, but few people know about his personal struggle with dyslexia.
I want to continue telling you about my personal struggle and how I achieving success with dyslexia.

My daughter at 7 was and still is a prolific reader. And she reads books above her age group. Well she has an advanced vocabulary too, partly because of this and also she liked to talk "at" adults. She is dyslexic.

I was struggling with her daughter to help her complete her homework about a year ago. It was to complete a nocturnal animals report.

She had read 6 books and could tell me all about the animals in detail. But she did not know where to start. It seems strange to me that kids are not shown how to plan and make the homework.

And of course without structure, she began to fail.

Homework

When I brought the subject up of how was the homework coming a week later, she changed the subject and talked about how she hates school. How they have her on the Lexxic program, "which is for dummies".

I have sat with her and the online program is pretty unforgiving. Especially for dyslexics with a short term memory. One mistake takes you back to repeat the sequence again for spelling, pronunciation, grammar and phonics. (could this help with long term memory, or put up obstacles - perhaps it could just have a mandatory refresher section)

This happens even if you have 95% of the series right. You then have to work back up to the problem.

That aside I agreed with her analysis. and then showed the results from the previous subjects. "It says here, that you have passed 50% of the whole course!", "I think if you keep going and not worry about these learning gaps, you will do as well as you have done before."

Her response was, "OKAY!"

"So lets try the Nocturnal homework?"

The homework was in her head. I unapologetically asked her to write it. Tears began and immediate frustration.

The Lexxi was rewriting her rules of English, but no one was showing her the structure for basic written work. In most cases this is assumed.
It about 15mins after she began to calm down. I approached it again.

Document overview

"In writing we have 3 parts.
  1. Introduction
  2. Body
  3. Summary

In the body we will talk about three subjects usually. What are the animals?
Owl, Hedgehog and Badger
  1. Introduction
  2. Body
    1. Owl
    2. Hedgehog
    3. Badger
  3. Summary

What do know about each animal? Tell me three things about the owl.
They live in barns and trees. They eat mice and small animals. They are sometimes killed by humans.
    1. Each animal has.
      1. Habits
      2. Favourite Foods
      3. Predators
I let her write a the title and the fill out what she knew. It was a sentence for each thing.

Introduction

In the introduction, we just put what the report is about.
This report is about three Nocturnal animals. These are the hedgehog, badger and the Owl. You will find out about their habits, favourite foods and predators.

Summary

In the Summary, we just put what we want the person to know.
She wrote, "I had fun reading and researching Nocturnal animals. I hope you have too."

What I want you to know

In 30 minutes, including tantrum. I had shown her how to structure an essay. Even a basic one. You might have a better way. But I was wondering why I hadn't learned this at school as well. If this time was taken with others, how many lives could we change before the emotional rot sets in.
I had made it my mission to show her how she wasn't a dummy. "I already know this," she said. I wanted to help her. Many teachers are resigned that they cannot help everyone. And without the time and the tools how can they.
Surely in a year, a teacher could spend 30mins per struggling pupil. Apparently only 5% of the class should be dyslexic.
But with the reaction of
So with her "Nocturnal animals", homework I tried by first making diagrams of the topics, it didn't help because she didn't have an architectural degree.
What are we teaching Dyslexics? Often it is that spelling is more important than ideas and research. Remember that we were still learning to spell, in Shakespeare’s time.
It literally took no time at all to show her this. So why isn't it taught. I hope to help you overcome your writing blocks.
Since then she has started poetry and been the only person in her class to be put forward for a borough competition.

Good luck. Please comment. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I keep getting these terrible headaches. How do I stop them?

For a while, I suffered from persistent, recurrent headaches that only taking Nurofen could shift. I found my headaches came down to a few things. Eyestrain Lack of rest, especially the eyes, Dirty glasses Lighting coming from behind the tv/monitor, a bit like an eclipse The brain Lack of water, drink water without crap in it. Crap = flavours, additives etc. Caffeine withdrawal, caffeine pills Alcohol dries out the brain, drink more water The body Poor posture, sit upright adjust your keyboard monitor, seat properly, and foot rest Take regular breaks, from working Get the right amount of sleep for you. Varies between 6 - 10 hours because of age, gender, and recent activity It took me months to clear all the crap out of the system. The biggest threat to my brain was my favourite fizzy orange drink. When I really had a look at the back I was surprised to see so many e numbers it made my head spin. I now don’t use Nurofen or g

Why do I have a neurodiversity diagram on my twitter

My life has been shaped by my neurodiversity. Diagnosed Dyslexic, ADHD inattentive and going through ASD diagnosis. I discovered this diagram shortly after I was made homeless in 2013. I started this disability blog  you are reading and my Twitter , to help others with their disabilities. The neurodiverse and design It is the visual nature and compartmentalization, which make this picture so attractive to me. In my underemployed days, I have been chiefly in the design arena. I worked for an architecture firm designing Tesco carparks. As a web designer and marketing manager for a PPE company. I have been an email designer for many sales companies. And all through those and others, I have loved design. And this simple design says a lot, all described below. Dyspraxia DCD What is dyspraxia? Difficulties with planning movements, co-ordination and practical tasks as well as tracking and balance, poor spatial awareness and muscle tone What is DCD? Also known as dyspraxia, Development Coordin

DEFY ABUSE: Simple rules to resist abuse

Being Nuerodiverse can mean that you are the target of abuse or that you are not aware enough to avoid it. My Youtube video may help you avoid abuse. Avoid it by making connections, speaking up, being visible and not being embarrassed. I hope this helps. Your feedback and comments are welcome.